MSO7605 - World War Two slit trenches on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 94081 48173 and SS 94110 48162 are slit trenches associated with World War Two military activity on North Hill (MMO627). Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] The Second World War slit trenches referred to above [1,2] are not visible on the available aerial photography, perhaps obscured by vegatation. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Various. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997. [Mapped features: #46826 ; #46827 ]
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. RCHME.
- <3> SMO7036 Verbal communication: Dickson, Amanda D. 2007-2009. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment (Severn Estuary NMP). 28 May 007.
- <4> SMO7542 Archive: Dickson, A.. 2007. Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1102254, Extant 11 May 2022.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 94095 48167 (29m by 11m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
External Links (3)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102254 (Original Monarch entry: 1102254)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167586 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167586)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167587 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167587)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO640
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12459
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12460
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW94
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167586
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167587
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1102254
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35660
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35661
Record last edited
May 11 2022 4:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.