MSO7605 - World War Two slit trenches on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 94081 48173 and SS 94110 48162 are slit trenches associated with World War Two military activity on North Hill (MMO627). Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] The Second World War slit trenches referred to above [1,2] are not visible on the available aerial photography, perhaps obscured by vegatation. [3,4]
- <1>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997. [Mapped features: #46826 ; #46827 ]
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <3> SMO7036 Verbal communication: Dickson, Amanda D. 2007-2009. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment (Severn Estuary NMP). 2007.
- <4> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 94095 48167 (29m by 11m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (3)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102254 (Original Monarch entry: 1102254)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167586 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167586)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA167587 (National Trust HER entry: MNA167587)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO640
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12459
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12460
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW94
- National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167586
- National Trust HER Record: MNA167587
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102254
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35660
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35661
Record last edited
Nov 25 2020 2:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.