MSO7603 - Possible World War Two bomb crater on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 94768 47669, immediately north of a car park, is a sub-circular pit. It is 5 metres in diameter and has very steep sides 0.8 metres deep. An arc of spoil is visible on the eastern side and further spoil is visible on the lip of the pit. The feature is presumably associated with World War Two military activity in the area (MMO627), and is best interpreted as a bomb crater. Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] A possible Second World War pit is visible as an earthwork. The subcircular pit measures 5 metres in diameter and is 0.8 metres deep. It is likely to be associated with Second World War military activity and may be a bomb crater. [3-5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS-70066 029-030 (3 May 2007).
- <5>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #46829 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 94768 47675 (26m by 27m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102243 (Original Monarch entry: 1102243)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO638
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12457
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW92
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102243
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35658
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 2:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.