MSO7600 - Possible World War Two rectangular platform on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Centred at SS 94507 47346 is a rectangular area measuring 32 metres by 12.9 metres. It is cut into the ground surface by up to 0.3 metres. At its eastern end is an amorphous dump of material, presumably a spoil heap from the construction of the feature. The function of the site is unclear, but it is probably associated with World War Two military activity on North Hill (MMO627). Certainly its smoothed, graded form would suggest that it was created with heavy machinery. Found during field reconnaissance and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] The platform referred to above [1,2] is visible as a rectangular area of disturbed ground on the available aerial photography from tank training activity during the Second World War. [3,4] The platform is visible on the Royal Air Force aerial photographs taken in 1946-8 held by the HER. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 Nov 1997.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
- <5>XY SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. [Mapped feature: #46831 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 94504 47339 (45m by 26m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102238 (Original Monarch entry: 1102238)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO635
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12455
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW90
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102238
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35656
Record last edited
Nov 25 2020 2:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.