MSO7598 - Possible World War Two building platform on North Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Centred at SS 94473 47397 is a rectangular stony platform, 0.3 metres high, measuring 11 metres by 9 metres. It lies on the south side of and adjacent to the road running west to east across North Hill. It appears to be associated with military activity on North Hill during World War Two. Found during field reconnaissance in a recently burnt off area of moorland, and surveyed at 1:2500 scale as part of RCHME fieldwork on the Exmoor National Park holding on North Hill. [1,2] The Second World War military building platform referred to above [1,2] is only visible as an area of disturbed ground on the available aerial photography likely as a result of tank training activity during the Second World War recorded as MMO627. [3-5]
- <1>XY SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 13 November 1997. [Mapped feature: #46832 ]
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 3010-3011 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO7036 Verbal communication: Dickson, Amanda D. 2007-2009. RCHME/EH Aerial Photographers Comment (Severn Estuary NMP). Severn Estuary NMP.
- <5> SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133.
|Grid reference||SS 94473 47397 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1102234 (Original Monarch entry: 1102234)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO633
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12454
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW89
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1102234
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35655
Record last edited
Nov 25 2020 2:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.