MSO7484 - Electricity generating mill south of Chargot House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A water turbine mill was powered by water from a small lake through a 15" diameter iron pipe with stop cock. The mill ceased working in 1963 and the dam is now partly collapsed. It drove a 1.5kw, 50-75v generator, manufactured by General Electricity Company, which was installed in 1890.  Nothing on OSAD 6"map.  Possible reuse of fishpond dam (MSO7483).  Also possible water meadow system. 
- <1> SSO1984 Unassigned: Warren, D. 05.12.77. Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society. Warren D, SIAS 05-DEC-1977.
- <2> SSO1627 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS93NE.
- <3> SSO936 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 05.03.84. Dennison E SCPD 05-MAR-1984.
- <4> SSO1179 Unpublished document: Francis, P.. 1984. A Survey and Description of the Catch Meadow Irrigation Systems. 38.
- <5> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4334.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9794 3700 (45m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1128155 (Original Monarch entry: 1128155)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11401
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE67
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128155
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33757
Record last edited
Aug 25 2017 11:39AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.