MSO7471 - Westcott Quarry and Lime Kiln (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Westcott quarry and limekiln is a large and well preserved with a circular hole at the top built into earthworks. [1-3] Since the SMR entry (1976), the condition of the kiln has deteriorated, and it is now almost totally obliterated.  Centred at SS 9715 3826 is an area of disturbed ground associated with the quarrying activity of Wescott quarry and lime kiln described by the previous authorities. The remains were visible as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. No trace of the limeliln could be seen on the aerial photographs. 
- <1> SSO751 Unassigned: Aston, M. 02.12.76. Somerset County Council. Aston M, SCPD 01-DEC-1976.
- <2> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 47(9).
- <3> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 19.
- <4> SMO5110 Externally held archive reference: Externally held archive. Holley S 1997 `An Investigation of Limekilns on Exmoor...' unpub BSc Thesis, Bournemouth University.
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944/4148 23-JAN-1947.
- <6> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9715 3825 (211m by 252m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=1128062 (Original Monarch entry: 1128062)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO803
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11377
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE54
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1128062
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33733
Record last edited
Feb 21 2013 12:57PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.