MSO7460 - Thorne Farmstead, Luxborough (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 964398. Deserted farmstead of Thorne, indicated in the 1327 Lay Subsidy by the entry of Ada atte Thorne.  It is shown as a farmstead with a mill (MSO7463) to the west on the 1843 Tithe Map. A hollow way runs west from the hill top and passes between the ruined stone buildings of the farm down to the mill site.  The farmhouse has 16th-17th century features and a bread oven. It is mentioned in the 1861 Census but not the 1871.  May have been taken over by Allercott Farm by 1841. The house vanished between 1861 and 1871, having been used to accommodate farm workers.  SS 964398. Thorn (NAT) [4,5] The earthworks were seen from aerial photographs. [9,10]
- <1> SSO1039 Monograph: Dickenson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. Somerset Record Society. Series 3. 247.
- <2> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SSO742 Article in serial: Aston, M. 1983. Deserted Farms on Exmoor and the Lay subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 127. 95.
- <4> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 13 62.
- <5> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Md Village Res Group Rep 25 1977 15 (M Aston).
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. OS 2" Drawing 1802-3.
- <7> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. OS 1" 1809.
- <8> SSO1535 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. 25" sheet. 47(5).
- <9> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9639.
- <10> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4291.
- <11> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. ', p159-164 (R Sandover).
|Grid reference||Centred SS 963 398 (221m by 121m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?a=0&hob_id=36647 (Original Monarch entry: 36647)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11379
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE26
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36647
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33735
Record last edited
Nov 27 2020 10:21AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.