MSO7453 - Woodlands Deserted Farmstead (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
As part of a parish survey, Mr Williams has drawn attention to a deserted farm site at Woodlands, SS 958378. (Woodlands Cottages shown as extant buildings on OS 6 inch 1891 at SS 95923775).  SS 959377. Deserted farmstead of Woodlands. A house and farm buildings are shown on the 1843 Tithe Map. The farm site is approached by a holloway from the east and is situated in a sheltered hollow facing east just below the crest of the hill. There are the remains of ruined rectangular stone buildings cut back into the hillside (M Aston, fieldwork 2 May 1976). [2-4] The foundations of a house still occupied in 1871 are still visible.  SS 9591 3778. Former farm of Woodland mentioned in the Court Book of 1506-56.  Woodland was mentioned in the Luxborough Eve Court Book . It was absorbed by Westcott Farm in 1806. The foundations of the house are still visible and the house was still occupied in 1871.  The site of the deserted post Medieval farmstead of Woodland described by the previous authorities is noted to be surrounded by a curvilinear banked enclosure of unknown date. The enclosure is partly defined by a surviving hedge bank on the western side and has an opening to the south-west. To the east of the site of the farmstead are a number of ditches which are the remains of water meadows associated with the farmstead. These and the curvilinear enclosure around the farmstead were seen as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. [6, 9-13]
- <1> SEM7089 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1976/1977. Somerset Archaeology 1976. Somerset Archaeological & Natural History Society. 121. P.117.
- <2> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. P.95.
- <4> SEM7091 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1976. Medieval Village Research Group Report. 24. P.9.
- <5> SEM7092 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1977. Medieval Village Research Group Report. 25. P.15.
- <6> SSO181 Unpublished document: Unknown. 1506-1556. Luxborough Eve Court Book.
- <7> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Chargot Documents.
- <8> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 13.
- <9> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 9537.
- <10> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 543/2821 (F62) 141 27-APR-1964.
- <11> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1980/4337 11-APR-1947.
- <12> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3295.
- <13> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9592 3773 (77m by 83m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36637 (Original Monarch entry: 36637)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO200
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11372
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE16
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36637
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33727
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33728
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33729
Record last edited
Oct 30 2018 11:35AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.