MSO7448 - Medieval churchyard cross at St Mary's Church (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(SS 9738 3800). Cross (NR)  The remains of a late 13th Century preaching cross situated in the graveyard of St Mary's Church.  This cross consists of a square socket stone with broached corners, set well into the ground, and 1.6 metres of shaft. [3,4] Remains of churchyard cross, 14th Century in date. It is constructed from red sandstone. The socket is circular; however, it is much eroded and probably was octagonal originally, set with square shaft, deeply incised in angle to form columns with incised imposts, broken off above with evidence that some form of sculptural decoration, probably a figure in crocketed niche standing on corbel stood above. About 1.5 metres high.  SS 97383800. Medieval cross situated close to the south porch of St Mary's Church. Scheduled on 12 November 2003.  The Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009 gave the site a survival score of 0.  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4A.  The site was surveyed in May 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 6.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The cross is marked and labelled on the 2022 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM7708 Unassigned: Hancock, F.. 1902. REV Object Name Book. P. 5.
- <3> SMO1426 Photograph: Palmer, R.. 1965. REMAINS OF LATE 13TH CENTURY CHURCHYARD CROSS AT LUXBOROUGH. OS65/F183/5. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <4> SMO7316 Unpublished document: PALMER, JP. Mid 1960s. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 25 August 1965.
- <5> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <6> SSO1150 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 27/11/2003. English Heritage to Somerset County Council.
- <7> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <9> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015. Archaedia.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36618, Extant 13 April 2022.
- <11>XY SEM340925 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2022. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #41342 ]
|Grid reference||SS 9738 3800 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36618 (Original Monarch entry: 36618)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 444/11/75
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10588
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11369
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE9
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36618
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33725
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31061
Record last edited
Apr 13 2022 11:03AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.