MSO7078 - Post-medieval roads on Deer Park (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
An area of indistinct undulations to the north of and within the area of the Blue Gate mining complex (MSO6918). The features appear to predate the mining activity and probably mark the former route to Simonsbath before the construction of the present road in the 19th Century. (See MSO7072 and MSO7077). [1,2] Centred at approximately SS 7639 3817, the features consist of an area of interweaving sunken hollows and gullies, running north-south from SS 7615 3794 as far as SS 7630 3820, where they fade from view. At SS 7645 3817, a single sunken track runs north-south towards Simonsbath as far as SS 7672 3871. The interweaving tracks strongly resemble the packhorse roads seen elsewhere in and around the former Royal Forest, while the single track is clearly a former route into Simonsbath. It seems likely that these features are the remains of the post-medieval road into Simonsbath, abandoned following construction of the modern road to the west. [3,4]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 October 1994.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. DAP QO 01, 02 (26 March 1990).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/96507 41-42 (30 March 1996 ) NMR OS/96507 41-42 (30 March 1996).
- <4> SMO7573 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 73 NE. MD002190.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7644 3832 (615m by 806m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029829 (Original Monarch entry: 1029829)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO466
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12543
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE68
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029829
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35745
Record last edited
Feb 5 2014 3:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.