MSO7074 - 19th Century leat to Simonsbath Sawmill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A leat, which supplies a post-medieval sawmill at Simonsbath, runs from SS 7657 3919 to SS 7716 3919 on the northern slopes of the valley of the River Barle. The feature is well defined, consisting of a channel, 1.5 metres wide, cut into the steep natural slopes.  The leat described above is clearly visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork on the northern slopes of the River Barle valley. However, the earthwork begins at SS 7657 3919 rather than the reference given above. It is less clearly defined for the first 200 metres, and was probably ploughed out some time in the early 20th Century. In total the leat measures approximately 1-1.5 metres wide and approximately 540 metres long.  'Old Leat' is marked on the Ordnance Survey 2010 MasterMap.  The leat is mapped using information from the NMP survey and the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [2,4] The leat was surveyed in May 2016. Its channel is 2 metres wide and 0.5 metres deep, with some stone facing visible at its western end. It terminates at a recently constructed sump or tank. The 1st Edition map shows this lies on or close to the line of an aqueduct or launder that carried the water to the sawmill's water wheel until the end of the 19th Century, when it was superseded by a turbine. [4,5]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 28 October 1994.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. CPE/UK/1980 4152-4153 (11 April 1947).
- <3>XY SEM7398 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #43215 ]
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8340 Report: Riley, H.. 2016. Survey and watching brief, Simonsbath Sawmill, Exmoor: Project report. 4-5.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7683 3918 (649m by 50m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1029797 (Original Monarch entry: 1029797)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NE64
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1029797
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35748
Record last edited
Mar 10 2021 2:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.