MSO6969 - Bronze Age burial cairn associated with Lanacombe I Stone Setting (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A disturbed cairn of small stones forming two rims on the northeast and south sides of stone "L" of a prehistoric stone setting (MSO6948). It is not clear whether stone and cairn were once a single monument, or whether insertion of the stone caused damage to the cairn. The cairn material is spread 4 metres north to south and 2.5 metres east to west, and survives 0.25 metres high. Association of stone settings and small cairns has been observed elsewhere in the area (see MSO6949 setting and MSO6967 cairn, and see MSO6819 setting and MSO6970 cairn). Another small cairn lies only 15 metres to the north (MSO6968).  As previously described. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. [2-5] The cairn was not surveyed as part of the Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 4. 
- <1> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 December 1988.
- <2> SSO1870 Survey: RCHME. 1996. Exmoor Survey. NMR site SS 74 SE 94.
- <3> SMO5632 Survey: Wilson-North, R.. Lanacombe Ink survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4> SMO5831 Collection: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Exmoor Project.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 July 1994.
- <6> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <7> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7811 4275 (6m by 5m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890232 (Pastscape entry: 890232)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12400
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE94
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 890232
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33112
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35596
Record last edited
Dec 22 2015 3:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.