MSO6968 - Bronze Age subcircular burial cairn northeast of Lanacombe 1 (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A low, subcircular cairn of small stones, part covered by vegetation. It is 3 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. 5 metres to the southwest is a large, prehistoric stone setting (MSO6948). This association of cairn and setting occur elsewhere in the immediate area (see MSO6949 setting and cairn MSO6967, and also MSO6819 setting and cairn MSO6970). Another small cairn (MSO6969) is 15 metres to the south.  As previously described. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. [2,3] The cairn was not assessed as part of the Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 4. 
- <1> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 December 1988.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 July 1994.
- <3> SMO5632 Survey: Wilson-North, R.. Lanacombe Ink survey. 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <4> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <5> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7811 4276 (4m by 5m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890227 (Pastscape entry: 890227)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12399
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE93
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 890227
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33112
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35595
Record last edited
Dec 22 2015 3:36PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.