MSO6968 - Bronze Age subcircular burial cairn northeast of Lanacombe 1 (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A low, subcircular cairn of small stones, part covered by vegetation. It is 3 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. 5 metres to the southwest is a large, prehistoric stone setting (MSO6948). This association of cairn and setting occur elsewhere in the immediate area (see MSO6949 setting and cairn MSO6967, and also MSO6819 setting and cairn MSO6970). Another small cairn (MSO6969) is 15 metres to the south.  As previously described. Surveyed at 1:2500 scale. [2,3] The cairn was not assessed as part of the Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment of 2009.  The site was surveyed in April 2015 as part of the 2015 Exmoor Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment. It was given a survival score of 4.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7318 Unpublished document: Pattison, P. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 December 1988.
- <2> SMO5632 Technical drawing: Wilson-North, R.. 1994. Lanacombe, SS 74 SE 49-51, 73, 88, 92-94, 105-106, 108, 122/ink survey. 1:2500. Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 6 July 1994.
- <4> SEM7402 Report: Bray, L.S.. 2010. Scheduled Monument Condition Assessment 2009, Exmoor National Park.
- <5> SEM8278 Report: Gent, T. and Manning, P.. 2015. Exmoor National Park Scheduled Monument Condition Survey 2015.
- <6>XY SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 890227, Extant 26 May 2021. [Mapped feature: #47238 ]
|Grid reference||SS 5903 4733 (point) Not clear which source generated NGR|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=890227 (Pastscape entry: 890227)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO12399
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE93
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 890227
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33112
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35595
Record last edited
May 26 2021 1:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.