MSO6751 - East Pit, Newland (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
A short contour leat took water from Pennycombe Water via an arched stone lined culvert, 3 feet high and wide, to a waterwheel at SS82583840. The wheel pit was originally covered. The wheel was installed before 1887 and was 25 feet diameter and 3 feet wide. A cable transmitted power via a drum to the incline winding drum. This was later extended to Newland Farm. Inclines were made, some of which are still visible. Two ruined limekilns and ruined sheds remain (see MSO12345). A tunnel drained the quarry water away. (1) Full access was not obtained to this site. Nevertheless it was possible to record the pair of lime kilns and associated structure at SS 8250 3851, which are deteriorating. It is clear that further recording is necessary on this important industrial complex. (2) The enclosure award of 1851 records that the land to east of the western quarry was awarded to John Cormer, the owner of Newland Farm. The enclosure map shows development in the area that became the Eatrn Quarry and records a double lime kiln on the site. The eastern quarry was flooded in November 1914 and never re-opened. (3)
- <1> SEM7101 Article in serial: Warren, D.W.. 1977. Newland Quarry. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society Journal. 2. P.36-39.
- <2> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Wilson-North, W.R. 09/08/1995.
- <3> SEM7102 Report: Burton, R.A.. 1991. A Brief History of Newland Lime Quarries, Exford. P. 7-8.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 825 384 (233m by 282m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974434 (Pastscape entry: 974434)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11266
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW26
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974434
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33607
Record last edited
Apr 21 2020 10:30AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.