MSO6750 - West Pit, Newland Quarry (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
West Pit was part of the Newland mining operations. The pit was excavated westwards across the watercourse of Pennycombe Water, which was later canalised around its western perimeter. There is a waterwheel just to the south of it (SS 8240 3845) with a leat from the northwest (SS 8230 3870). They are shown on the South Common Enclosure map and were presumably used for pumping. The pit was served by three small lime kilns not more than 8 feet deep and built of stone, which can still be seen in various states of collapse.  It was not possible to obtain free access to this site due to an ongoing legal dispute between the farm partners. Further work is clearly required to record this important site.  Documented.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7101 Article in serial: Warren, D.W.. 1977. Newland Quarry. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society Journal. 2. P.36-39.
- <2> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 9 August 1995.
- <3> SEM340851 Report: Unknown. 2000. English Heritage Monuments Protection Programme Industrial Monuments Assessment, Step 3 Reports: The Quarrying Industry, Somerset 1. English Heritage.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974432, Extant 11 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 824 384 (39m by 110m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974432 (Pastscape entry: 974432)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11265
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW25
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974432
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33606
Record last edited
Aug 11 2021 4:04PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.