MSO6693 - St Martin's Church and Churchyard, Elworthy (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
[ST 0829 3496] St. Martin's Church (NAT).  St Martin's church is a small church with a low unbuttressed west tower with battlements. Probably 13th Century.  In normal use.  ST03SE ELWORTHY CP 8/4 Church of St Martin 22.5.69 GV II* Parish church, now redundant. C13 tower, porch and nave roof late C15, chancel rebuilt 1695 and again in 1846 when nave restored and organ chamber added, church declared redundant 1979. Red sandstone random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 3 bay nave, South organ chamber, chancel and rood loft stair projection. Lower 2-stage crenellated tower, unbuttressed, 2 square bell openings, lancet, entrance at first floor level by flight of steps on South side, wooden chamfered 4 centred arch doorcase with renewed studded plank door. Buttressed, single storey, gabled porch, moulded arched entrance, split at apex and subsiding, chamfered arched inner doorway, C19 door; lancet to right in nave, south front two 2-light windows, another 2-light to organ chamber projection, 3-light East window, chancel with diagonal buttresses, rood loft stair projection at junction with nave North face, 2-light window to left or porch. Interior: rendered. C19 pointed chancel arch, similar to organ chamber, unmoulded round tower arch. C19 barrel vault to chancel, late C15 ribbed plaster barrel vault to nave. Mid C17 alabaster font, Jacobean pulpit, late C17 turned baluster altar rails and table, some C17 stained glass in window, C19 screen incorporating frieze: "O lord Prepare Our Arts to Praye Anno 1632" and some C17 tracery. C16 bent ends attached to choir stalls. Slate tomb slab in nave to Mary Green died January 19th, 1718/19, (Photographs in NMR).  A church was mentioned in 1233. The living was a rectory until 1969 when it became a chapelry within the parish of Monksilver. In 1979 the church was declared redundant and vested in the Redundant Churches Fund. The church was dedicated by 1531. The nave and tower date from the C13 and the porch and the nave roof from the C15. The chancel was rebuilt in 1695 and again in 1846 when the nave was also restored and reseated.  Graveyard in use since at least medieval times.  An addition to one the gravemarkers with the churchyard records James Elliot who was killed in 1916 in WWI and is buried in France. The gravemarker is in the form of a granite cross. The bell cage was renewed, the bells rehung and renovations undertaken in 1921 as a thanksoffering for the end of WWI. There is an associated plaque. Another plaque commemorates Walter Sangar who died in 1917 in WWI.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 4. 
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1904.
- <2> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. 166.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 JP 12-MAY-65.
- <4> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . DOE (HHR) W Somer Dist (Elworthy et al) Somer 21st Dec 1984 2-3.
- <5> SMO5316 Monograph: Dunning, R. W. (editor). 1985. A History of the County of Somerset. Oxford University Press for the Institute of Historical Research. 5. 72-3 (MC Siraut).
- <6> SSO787 Unassigned: Aston, M. 30.11.76. Somerset County Council.
- <7> SSO693 Website: Imperial War Museum. United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials. Ref. 24944 (Elliott), 24567 (bells), 24568 (Sangar).
- <8> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0827 3496 (90m by 67m)|
|Civil Parish||ELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (4)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=188416 (Original Monarch entry: 188416)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24567 (UKNIWM reference 24567: Church bells)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24568 (UKNIWM reference 24568: Lance Cpl. WA Sangar)
- http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/conMemorial.24944 (UKNIWM reference 24944: 2nd Lieut JH Elliott)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4): 375/8/4
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10480
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11243
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6701
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SE6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 52138
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 188416
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 527452
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33583
Record last edited
May 5 2021 3:51PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.