MSO12590 - Ashcombe Farm, Winsford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Deserted medieval farmstead of Ashcombe, idicated in the 1327 Lay Subsidy by the entry of William de Accone.  The estate is shown on the 1839 Tithe Map but there was no farmhouse depicted at this time.  The site was called 'Pine' on 1st Edition 1" Ordnance Survey map in 1809 (see MSO11674 and MSO11175).  Stone farm buildings shown on the Tithe Map are still in use at the site but the farmhouse is a cottage some 100 metres to the northeast. Three farms seem to have had names which migrate between the 1809 map and the Tithe Map of 1839. The three records should therefore be read together (see also MSO11674 and MSO11175). [2,3,4] The farmhouse first appears on the 1st Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map, when it is labelled Ashcombe. The farm buildings are similar in form to those still extant, although it appears that they have been subject to some small extensions in places since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed. The most southerly building (at SS 8859 3752) is recorded as having an Ordnance Survey benchmark on its northeastern face on both of these maps. The pond appears to have been sited in its current location to the northwest of the farmstead since at least the time at which Tithe Map was surveyed. [2,5,6]
- <1> SEM7942 Serial: Dickinson, F.H.. 1889. Kirby's Quest for Somerset. 180.
- <2> SSO710 Map: 1839. Winsford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 101.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 December 1997.
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8863 3755 (147m by 116m) Historic mapping|
|Civil Parish||WINSFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35731 (Pastscape entry: 35731)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8530
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE17
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35731
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35798
Record last edited
Sep 20 2021 10:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.