MSO12586 - Possible World War Two observation post on Bossington Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
About 100 metres in front (southwest) of the northwest end of the tank gunnery range target track (MSO8096) is a large raised earthwork platform. See MSO12585 and MSO12587 for similar platforms.  Concrete structures are visible on the top on 1946 aerial photographs.  A possible Second World War observation post was visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs. The post is centred at SS 9093 4812 and is defined by a large mound measuring 27 metres by 14 metres. The mound is clearly visible on aerial photographs and is thought to be associated with the adjacent target railway (MSO8096) and would have been used as part of the wider tank training activities in the area recorded as MMO627. [3-5]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Chris Webster, Somerset SMR, Somerset County Council, July 1998.
- <2> SSO364 Aerial photograph: July 1946. RAF 106G\UK\1655 4005 to 4013.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1655 4012-3 (11 July 1946).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 160-1 (17 April 1979).
- <5>XY SMO7542 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NW. MD000133. [Mapped feature: #45044 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9093 4811 (43m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1455056 (Pastscape entry: 1455056)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1496
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW195
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1455056
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35794
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.