MSO12451 - Post-medieval quarry northeast of Wood Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
One of five small quarries. Some are associated with the construction of nearby stone field banks but others appear to be shallow quarrying for building stone. [1, 2] This quarry is visible on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey mapping, it is annotated as 'old quarry' indicating it was disused by the time of the survey. It is not annotated on the 2nd Edition map, but it is depicted as earthworks. [3, 4]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 December 1997.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. p10,11.
- <3>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46193 ]
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9502 4741 (26m by 12m) (GPS derived)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry east of Wood Combe (Monument) (MSO12447)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry east of Wood Combe (Monument) (MSO12449)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry east of Wood Combe (Monument) (MSO12450)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry southeast of Wood Combe (Monument) (MSO12448)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1103396 (Original Monarch entry: 1103396)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7542
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE74
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1103396
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35652
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.