MSO12447 - Post-medieval quarry east of Wood Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
One of five small quarries. Some are associated with the construction of nearby stone field banks but others appear to be shallow quarrying for building stone. [1,2] The quarry is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map; however, a routeway leads to this approximate location, where it terminates. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 16 December 1997.
- <2> SMO5780 Report: Riley, H. and Wilson-North, R.. 1997. The field archaeology of North Hill: An archaeological survey of the Exmoor National Park holding. p10.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9516 4710 (27m by 36m) (GPS derived)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry east of Wood Combe (Monument) (MSO12449)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry east of Wood Combe (Monument) (MSO12450)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry northeast of Wood Combe (Monument) (MSO12451)
- Related to: Post-medieval quarry southeast of Wood Combe (Monument) (MSO12448)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1103396 (Original Monarch entry: 1103396)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7542
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE74
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1103396
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35648
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 2:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.