MSO12271 - Possible hillfort at Castle Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
An earthwork on what is now called Castle Farm. The earthwork has disappeared, the place of it being occupied by a house and farm buildings. 'Castle' is the local term for an earthwork.  The implication is of a small hillfort or enclosure such as Road Castle.  There is no mention of the site of a castle on the Exford Tithe Map, or on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [3-5]
- <1> SSO1268 Article in serial: Howes, Rev. J.G. 1889. Notes on Exford. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 35. 2. 38.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. A Preece, Somerset County Council, 1994.
- <3> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
|Grid reference||SS 8266 4018 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36319 (Pastscape entry: 36319)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6740
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW60
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36319
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35340
Record last edited
Dec 18 2014 12:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.