MEM23180 - Castle Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map and labelled "Castle". At this time it consisted of a farmhouse and attached outbuilding to its west, and a further building situated to the farmhouse's east.  The farmhouse is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps extending to the east, possibly abutting the originally detached outbuilding. A further structure had been constructed to the south of the latter by this stage. [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the building abutting the east end of the farmhouse appears to have been removed and other structures constructed at this point. The building to the south had been demolished and another larger, linear building constructed further to the east.  The site was visited in January 1997. It was thought that it was no longer functioning as a farmstead but instead, the buildings included a cottage with a separate group of sheds etc, used for horses.  Castle Farmstead was sold to John Huxtable in 1740 for a golden guinea and 60 English pounds. Some of the walls have been noted to be four feet six inches thick. When plaster was being removed in 1951, a millstone was found to have been built into one of the walls, possibly to bring the house prosperity. 
- <1> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8033 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 145.
- <6> SEM8686 Monograph: Hamilton, C.M.. 1953. A history of Exford. N/A. 1st Edition. 26.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8265 4018 (50m by 73m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 145
Record last edited
Apr 7 2020 10:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.