MSO12238 - Disputed double stone row on West Pinford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
A double stone row 54 feet long and about 2 feet wide with 19 stones visible was recorded by Charles Whybrow in 1970 near the 6 stone Pinford setting (MSO6820). It is similar to the one on Wilmersham Common (MSO7336). It has lately eluded persistent search both before and after swaling even though it is known that nothing has been removed. Whybrow showed its position on a 2.5 inch map as south of the Pinsford stone setting in the angle between two streams (SS 79 42). In the last few years several very low ruined stoney banks have been noticed on the hill between the two Pinfords and may be possible that Whybrow's 'row' was a length of boundary bank. (Fragments of a low stone bank have been recorded in the area of the angle between the two streams, as indicated by Whybrow, at SS 7957 4250 - MSO11020).  A double stone row 16 metres long with nineteen stones recorded here in 1970. Subsequent fieldwork has failed to relocate this though the area has not been disturbed. It was perhaps a stony field bank (see MSO11020).  Site planned (1 September 1995).  The plan and the grid reference stronly suggest that this is a duplication of MSO11020.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1064 Monograph: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1983. Ancient Exmoor. The Exmoor Press. 32.
- <2> SSO1877 Monograph: RCHME . 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park. SS74SE43 p53.
- <3> SSO1577 Unassigned: Ordnance Survey. card SS 74 SE. 43.
- <4> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33038, M Walker, 1995.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Chris Webster, January 1998.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 35310, Extant 2 June 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 7956 4251 (point) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6833
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SE43
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 35310
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35303
Record last edited
Jun 2 2021 12:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.