MSO12193 - Undated rectilinear enclosure south of Dunster Castle (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Soilmark of rectilinear enclosure seen on aerial photographs at base of Dunster Castle.  Two rounded corners visible. One side forms parish boundary. May be a Roman fort.  Further cropmarks seen in 1995 which do not seem to relate to enclosure and some are certainly old river courses. [3,4] A possible medieval and/or post-medieval rectilinear enclosure is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs. The enclosure is located south of Dunster Castle and is centred at SS 9929 4334. It is defined by a ditch enclosing and area that measures 155 metres long by 85 metres wide and is orientated southwest to northeast. The enclosure is bounded by the River Avill on the northwest side and by a landscaped boundary on the northeast side. Another linear cropmark that measures 245 metres long joins the enclosure at the southwest corner (SS 9921 4330) and extends southwards. As the linear cropmark matches the civil parish boundary, it is plausible that this represents an old course or a tributary of the River Avill. The enclosure may represent a landscape feature as it is located within Dunster Park. Other linear cropmarks are visible and are likely to be drainage ditches or old watercourses. [5-7]
- <1> SSO142 Aerial photograph: 1990. DAP QQ5-7 QK1,2,5,6 SCED.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council staff comments. Chris Webster, Sites and Monuments Record Officer, 1 February 1992.
- <3> SSO167 Aerial photograph: 1995. DAP YJ06-09.
- <4> SSO97 Aerial photograph: 1996. DAP AAT13,14.
- <5> SMO4069 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 9943/21 (DAP 6810/05).
- <6> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/51/5159 (F21) 0192-0193 (4 June 1962).
- <7> SMO7544 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 SE. MD000135.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 992 432 (352m by 328m)|
|Civil Parish||CARHAMPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO1460
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE141
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1454134
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35240
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 11:43AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.