MSO12133 - Zwan Antiques and Torre Cottage, 19 and 21 West Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
18th century frontage with later alterations. Colourwashed rough-cast, pantiles, eaves, two later gabled casement dormers. Two storeys plus attics. Three windows, sashes with glazing bars to No 21, later oriel with casement windows to No 19 above modern shop front. Central panelled door with an elliptical- arched wooden hood on brackets. Included for group value.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264728. First Listed on 06/11/1975.  The buildings are situated within Dunster's Conservation Area.  A letter held on file dating from March 1985 advises that a load-bearing wall on the ground floor had been removed in 21, West Street and it revealed a row of three bread ovens (now damaged), a culvert under a stone slab, a well (partly filled in) and foundations of a possible pigsty. The floor had been excavated.  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are depicted but not labelled on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p22.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Somerset HER PRN 12813.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39163 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9898 4348 (18m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/95/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/95/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 12813
- Somerset SMR PRN: 35000
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 1:42PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.