MSO12123 - No 18, St George's Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Dated 1833. Random rubble red sandstone. Plain tile roof, deep eaves, brick chimney stacks. Two storeys. Five wooden casement windows, segemental arches, brick voussoirs, glazing bars. Trellis porch, panelled door, fanlight with tracery. Date stone inscribed "Vine Cottage St Georges Street - 1833". Iron railings and gate alongside roadside.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264718. First Listed on 04/08/1983.  The 2002 Conservation Area Character Appraisal for Dunster states "no.18, at right angles to the street, is built of red sandstone rubble under a plain tiled roof has a date-stone of 1833. Other 19th century features include, segmental arched brick voussoirs, casement windows with patterned glazing bars, a panelled door with tracery fanlight, and a timber trellised porch. Also included in the listing are a gate and iron railings alongside the highway."  The group was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. The house received a BAR score of 6, the railings a score of 4A and the gate a score of 5A.  The building is depicted and labelled "18" on 2018 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p23.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #41321 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9894 4372 (9m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (4A): 26/4/85/2
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5A): 26/4/85/3
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/85/1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34986
Record last edited
Jan 21 2020 2:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.