MSO12121 - Dunster County Primary School (Main School Building), St George's Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
1871, architect J P St Aubyn, with later alterations and additions. Snecked red rubble sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings. Tiled roofs with 2 ridge chimneys, gables with projecting purlins, moulded bargeboards and footstones in plates. Gable to east has small belfry housed below apex of gable. Large single storey roughly 'Z' plan building. 2:3:2 bays to long sides (east, south and east again), casements in part, stepped and transomed lancet triplets with cusped heads and labels to gables, 2 and 3-light Caernarvon-arch type to side walls. Entrance in catslide extension in angle to south-west. Modern hall building and classroom are not included on this list.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264716. First Listed on 04/08/1983.  The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area.  The building was the idea of the Rev. TF Luttrell, who supported and taught in the old school, as well as running a night school for boys and young men where they could learn to read. The site was given by Mr George Luttrell, who also contributed to the costs. At the opening of the school in 1872, 130 children marched from their old school through the churchyard to the new schoolroom, preceded by a banner inscribed 'Dunster Church Schools'.  The building was visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. It is part of a range of buildings labelled "Dunster First School". 
- --- SEM8516 Monograph: Villiers, S.. 2012. Village schooling in Somerset: Learn 'em hard. Ryelands.. 1st Edition. 214.
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p23.
- <4> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. p158.
- <5> SEM7516 Monograph: Binding, H.. Discovering Dunster. The Exmoor Press. p17.
- <6> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <7> SEM8275 Leaflet: Crane, E.. ?. The Village School, Dunster, Somerset 1861 - 1945.
- <8>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39191 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9893 4367 (20m by 23m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/83/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34984
Record last edited
Apr 14 2021 12:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.