MSO12120 - Dunster County Primary School, St George's Street, Dunster (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
1871. Architect J P St Aubyn. Dressed and snecked red Sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Plain tile roofs, gable with footstones to plate. Rubble side chimneys. Roughly 'L' plan. Two storeys. One range of windows in gables to south and east, casements, 3-light lancets - on 1st floor, with relieving arches, 1, 3 and 4-light Caernarvon-arched on ground floor. Half- hipped lean-to porch with cusped bracing in angle. Principal feature is heavily corbelled corners to south gable allowing single lights to ground floor corners.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 264715. First Listed on 04/08/1983.  The building is situated within Dunster's Conservation Area. The 2002 Character Appraisal states that "The Primary School dates from 1871. The original building is ornately built of red sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings under a tiled roof , there are triple lancet windows under relieving arches, moulded bargeboards, and a small belfry is housed under the east gable. The listing details describe as a principal feature “heavily corbelled corners to the south gable, allowing single lights to (the) ground floor corners.” The architect, James Piers St. Aubyn, was based in London, but worked extensively in the West Country where he had family connections."  The buildings were visited in April 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted on 2018 MasterMap data. It is part of a range of buildings labelled "Dunster First School". 
- <1> SSO691 Index: 4/8/1983. Twenty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM7910 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2002. Dunster Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p23.
- <4> SMO5711 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1958. The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset. Penguin Books. p158.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM8275 Leaflet: Crane, E.. ?. The Village School, Dunster, Somerset 1861 - 1945.
- <7>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #39190 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9892 4365 (11m by 13m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNSTER, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 26/4/83/1
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34983
Record last edited
Feb 10 2020 4:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.