MSO11842 - Post-medieval deserted farmstead at Ludslade Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A few buildings marked on 1962 map.  Banks form a group of small rectangular enclosure - deserted farm site. [2-5] It is not clear what the relationship is between the deserted farmstead and the more recent buildings. It should be noted that the previous sources referenced the name of this site as "Ludscale" but provided the grid reference of SS 851 397. The GIS mapping has been altered to suit the aerial photograph transcription from the WAT survey, although the site may extend outside the mapped area. [2,6] The aerial transcription does not appear to align with anything shown on the Exford Tithe Map. [4,7] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560. SS83NE.
- <2> SSO270 Aerial photograph: September 19. HSL.UK.71-178 Run 85. 9330.
- <3> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4310.
- <4>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS8539C. [Mapped feature: #42190 ]
- <5> SMO5560 Article in serial: Aston, M.. 1983. Deserted Farmsteads on Exmoor and the Lay Subsidy of 1327 in West Somerset. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 127. 93.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 19 December 2014.
- <7> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974761, Extant 21 September 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8514 3964 (149m by 361m) Aerial survey|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974761 (Pastscape entry: 974761)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6776
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NE67
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974761
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34420
Record last edited
Sep 21 2021 2:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.