MSO11736 - Post-medieval Wesleyan Methodist chapel and burial ground at Fairview (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
"Burial ground" printed on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  "Old Burial Ground" is shown on Ordnance Survey mapping for 1889.  Local information  indicated the site of the former burial ground at SS 84442 35514. It is now a small vegetable plot with a timber shed standing on the west side. The adjacent building to the east, now a garage, was stated to have formerly been a Wesleyan chapel, before it moved to a new site in Withypool.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The Tithe Map for Withypool depicts a grey rectangular building abutting the road very approximately at SS 8445 3551. It is within an enclosed area that surrounds its east and western ends equally and extends to the rear (north). The building is labelled 270a and the enclosed area 270. The parcels are described as follows: 270a: Methodist Chapel, owned by William Dascombe, Thomas Joyce, John Burnet, William Stoat, John Tidboald and William Thorne, as Trustees for the Wesleyan Methodists (who occupied the site); 270: Garden (Garden), owned by Henry Quartley, leessee under John Hill (occupied by Himself).  The chapel recorded as MSO10321 was apparently built in 1881, suggesting the end date for the chapel recorded in this record. [7,8]
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903, 45(16).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, 45(16).
- <3>XY SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Owner of Fairview, Withypool (SS 8446 3551). [Mapped feature: #47430 Approximate location of burial ground, ]
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigationn, 3 August 1995.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974461, Extant 27 July 2021.
- <6>XY SSO685 Map: 1839. Withypool Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 270, 270a. [Mapped feature: #47431 Chapel site, 270a]
- <7> SSO1943 Monograph: Stell, C.. 1991. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses in South-West England. Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
- <8> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 27 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8444 3551 (8m by 4m) (2 map features)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8716
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW37
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974461
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34304
Record last edited
Jul 27 2021 2:07PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.