MSO11768 - Post-medieval enclosures of Withypool (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Two small rectangular enclosures and banks on valley floor west of Withypool. [1,2] Authority  simply describes two small rectangular enclosures and banks on Barle valley floor, to the west of Withypool. The rectilinear enclosures have been transcribed from aerial photographs as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. The western enclosure is centred on circa SS 8420 3551 and measures circa 26 metres by 10 metres. The easternmost enclosure is somewhat larger at 38 metres long and 19 wide. It is defined by broader banks but is partially obscured from view by vegetation. The date and function of the enclosures is unclear from the aerial photographs alone. However, it is likely that they are post-medieval in date. It is possible they are former burial grounds similar to that recorded circa 200 metres to the east. [3-5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 4358.
- <2> SSO708 Survey: Western Archaeological Trust. 1980s. Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey. 8435.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 540/860 (F20) 4103-4 (2 September 1952).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR SS 8435/15-16 (SFFO/56-7 30073) (1 September 1952).
- <5> SMO7574 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 NW. MD002191.
- <6>XY SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 974421, Extant 27 July 2021. [Mapped feature: #47432 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8424 3549 (95m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYPOOL AND HAWKRIDGE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO375
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8713
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW19
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 974421
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34337
Record last edited
Jul 27 2021 2:28PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.