MSO11641 - Limekilns at Treborough quarry (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two limekilns at this location.  Four limekilns are shown on OS 1:10,000 map and marked "Limekilns (disused)".  Two of the limekilns at ST01683683 and ST01693683 are listed buildings. The description gives the NGR as ST01663684 however.  Pair of limekilns. Early C19. Flat bedded local slate. Plan: 2 limekilns set into hillside, buttressed wall between with putlog holes for a vanished structure, in all about 17 metres in length. Both limekilns with curved abutments, parapets obscured by ivy at time of survey (June 1984), 3 relieving circles of decreasing size, one stoke hole right, left kiln with 2 stoke holes, recess in right abutment and one joint of lean-to roof remaining. Raking buttress to central wall between with 2 pairs of putlog holes on either side; the nature of the structure they supported is unclear.  The listed buildings were visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 1A. 
- <1> SSO767 Unassigned: Aston, M. 13.12.76. Somerset County Council.
- <2> SSO1453 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1976. 1:10,000 ST03NW.
- <3> SSO939 Unassigned: Dennison, E, Somerset County Council. 05.12.88. Verbal communication.
- <4> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0177 3682 (205m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||TREBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=975136 (Original Monarch entry: 975136)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (1A): 444/12/102/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (1A): 444/12/102/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10615
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8350
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 NW32
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 975136
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31089
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34142
Record last edited
May 13 2021 10:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.