MSO11393 - Bowl barrow at Monkham Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Bowl barrow 14 paces diameter and 3ft high, dug in centre (Luxborough 1).  Shallow amorphous depression is all that survives, doubtless destroyed by forestry planting. Published survey (1/2500) revised.  SS 98923868 and SS 98883868. Remains of two barrows, both very difficult to find.  Both sites are currently under a young forestry plantation (trees 4 m high) and are therefore inaccessible.  No trace of the barrow could be seen on aerial photographs dating from 1947. 
- <1> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . OS 6" 1962.
- <2> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 35.
- <3> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 JP 25 Aug 1965.
- <4> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
- <5> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Par.Surv.inSomer 2:Luxbro' (EF Williams) Vol No. - 2, 1978 Page Nos. - 18, 107.
- <6> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited.
- <7> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 18 May 98 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/COE/UK/1980 4332 11-APR-1947.
- <9> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9887 3859 (55m by 55m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36612 (Original Monarch entry: 36612)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO197
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7446
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE7
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36612
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33749
Record last edited
Feb 1 2013 2:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.