MSO11392 - Cairn at Monkham Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Rim of cairn 17 paces diameter and 1.5ft high (Luxborough 1a).  A shallow amorphous depression is all that survives at this site. The barrow was doubtless destroyed during forestry planting. Published survey (1/2500) revised. A circle of stones at SS 98923868 on OS 25" is now a circular outward facing scarp 0.4m high. The interior has been hollowed, probably by forestry workings, to just below ground level and reveals the scarp to be composed of loosely packed stone. It seems likely that this is the rim of a barrow or cairn though it is situated well down a steep slope. Published survey (1/2500) revised.  SS 98923868 and SS 98883868. Remains of two barrows, both very difficult to find.  The site is currently under a young forestry plantation (trees 4 m high) and therefore inaccessible.  The remains of one of the two possible Bronze Age round barrows described by the previous authorities was seen as an earthwork at SS 9892 3868 and mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1947. 
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 35.
- <2> SMO5103 Unpublished document: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Field Investigators Comments. F1 JP 25 Aug 1965.
- <3> SMO5467 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows. Part I: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113.
- <4> SMO4109 Serial: Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1851-. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. Par.Surv.in Somer 2:Luxbro' (EF Williams) Vol No. - 2, 1978 Page Nos. - 18, 107.
- <5> SMO4578 Monograph: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Archaeology of Exmoor: Bideford Bay to Bridgewater. David and Charles Limited.
- <6> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. R Wilson-North 18 May 98 RCHME Field Investigation.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/COE/UK/1980 4332 11-APR-1947.
- <8> SMO6673 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9891 3867 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36612 (Original Monarch entry: 36612)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO197
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7446
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE7
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36612
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33748
Record last edited
Feb 1 2013 2:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.