MSO11321 - Possible Bronze Age round barrow on Stoke Ridge (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Luccombe 7: A bowl barrow 7.5 paces in diameter and 2.5 feet high is sited at SS 8788 4320.  Small oval mound 0.7m high at SS 88004323. It may be a barrow as Grinsell suggests but from its size and shape it is rather doubtful. Surveyed at 1/2500.  In good condition covered with well grazed turf and heather. Many other small mounds in immediate vicinity.  Large rounded elliptical mound 1 metre high, 7 paces wide and 9 paces long.  Confusion in NGRs has arisen from there being up to 4 other small similar mounds in the vicinity.  SS 8799 4323 - a bowl barrow situated on a very gentle north facing slope below the crest of Stoke Ridge at 357 metres Ordnance Datum. This round barrow measures 6 metres by 7 metres and is 0.7 metres in height. There is no trace of a ditch. Although the mound is heather covered probing suggests a large stone content. In appearance it is much more acceptable as a barrow than either of the other two mounds in the vicinity (two only identified of the "many" of , both of which appear to be natural (see MSO7343). Although there is a large N.G.R. discrepancy (100 metres) this mound is clearly Grinsell's Luccombe 7.  Considerable confusion seems to have arisen over identification between this record and MSO7343. The NGRs obtained by source  here, accord with a GPS location for the westerly of the two mounds recorded under MSO7343. 
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 35.
- <2> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. J Palmer, visited 22 June 1965.
- <3> SSO313 Unassigned: July 1976. National Trust site visit.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. R McDonnell, site visit report, 29 March 1981.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. E Dennison, Somerset County Council, 10 February 1984.
- <6> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. 15 July 1987.
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 27 January 1997.
|Grid reference||SS 8799 4323 (point) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35951 (Pastscape entry: 35951)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7326
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SE5
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35951
- Site of Special Scientific Interest
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33677
Record last edited
Oct 7 2014 3:10PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.