MSO11250 - Post-medieval mill at Higher Mill Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
"Mill leat" printed on Ordnance Survey Aarchaeological Division 6 inch map.  Leat from tributary of River Exe from SS 8412 3960. Iron trough, relief hatches etc. Overshot wheel with 36 wooden buckets. Pit wheel 56 feet by 4 feet.  Higher Mill and Lower Mill are indicated on Exford Tithe Map and the Ordnance Survey 1st and 2nd Edition maps with a leat indicated running south from a weir on the Allcombe Water (at the grid refence above SS 8412 3960) running west of Downscombe Farm. The building labelled Lower Mill (SS 8431 3911) was the mill building, labelled 1138 on the Tithe Map, owned by the Poor of Exford and occupied by Richard Court. The main leat is shown flowing under the building on the Tithe Map, but a major diversion is shown on the 1st and 2nd Edition map to the northwest, with an offshoot instead flowing to the building. It is marked as a corn mill on this map. [3-5] on 7th January 1755, Rober Baker willed his messuage or tenement of Lower Mill to Francis Squire (then Rector of Exford), and various other named persons in Trust (the number was to remain at ten, with new trustees elected by the remainder). 40 shillings (two pounds) was to be paid annually on the first Sunday after the Feast of All Saints for the use of the poor of Hawkridge parish, in order to clothe those most in need. The remainder was to be distributed as clothing amongst the poor of Exford at Christmas. The property was noted to have a dwelling house, millhouse, malthouse, a cottage and garden, with six acres of land, all let for 20 pounds 7 shillings a year. 
- <1> SSO1611 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1962. 6" SS83NW.
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. D Warren, Somerset Industrial Archaeology Society, 1 July 1977.
- <3> SSO205 Map: 1840. Exford Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SSO1909 Monograph: Savage, J.. 1830. A History of the Hundred of Carhampton. 544-6.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8422 3933 (210m by 555m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=974424 (Pastscape entry: 974424)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6746
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW21
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 974424
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33591
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 12:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.