MSO11140 - Medieval and post-medieval coach road in Dunster Park (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
From Gallon Cross (Park Gate) a road led in a southeasterly direction to Carhampton Gate and so to Carhampton. Was the normal Carhampton to Dunster road but stopped with the creation of the Deerpark. Now a footpath.  Parallel banks in Dunster Park seen on aerial photographs dating to 1947 can be identified as an old coach road. [2,3]
- <1>XY SSO1043 Article in serial: Dixon, J.. 1980. Somerset Parish Survey 3: Carhampton. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 18. [Mapped feature: #34036 ]
- <2> SSO289 Aerial photograph: 1947. LHL CPE/UK/1980. 3019.
- <3> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9943B.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9941 4289 (884m by 401m)|
|Civil Parish||CARHAMPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1119408 (Pastscape entry: 1119408)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9114
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SE50
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 33453
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33453
Record last edited
Jan 8 2020 9:46AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.