MSO10922 - Prehistoric or post-medieval mound at Elsworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 8234 4159. Bowl barrow (Exmoor 10), 6 paces in diameter and 1.5 feet high. Found by Grinsell 24th April 1962 after heath had been swaled, but listed as 'doubtful or rejected'.  A grass covered mound that may be a small bowl barrow or alternatively, a spoil heap. It is within 15 metres of 19th Century features, close to a track and and it is possible that it is the remains of a heap of material collected to build these features. It may also be a spoil heap from nearby mining activity. 0.5 metres high. Surveyed at 1:2500.  A prominent circular mound 6.5 metres in diameter and 0.5 metres high. It is covered in heather, moss and grass, and despite some surface stone, appears to be largely earthen. The mound is topped by a central tussocky lump, 1 metre in diameter. The mound is probably of post-medieval date, either connected with agricultural improvement or with the proposed Porlock-Simonsbath Railway (MSO7906).  The large mound may well represent the remains of post-medieval activity, as suggested by , but may equally be a small prehistoric burial cairn - it lies close to the site of Larkbarrow Corner where tradition has it that a barrow formed a boundary marker of the former Royal Forest of Exmoor. It is in good condition. [4,5] The mound is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but is shown on modern MasterMap data. [6,7]
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 32.
- <2> SSO1721 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS84SW. 8.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 December 1995.
- <4> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. 2001, English Heritage Field Investigation.
- <5> SSO1286 Report: Jamieson, E. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset. English Heritage survey report.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8234 4156 (17m by 16m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6857
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36224
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33061
Record last edited
Jan 4 2017 10:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.