MSO10921 - Prehistoric or post-medieval mound on Elsworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8221 4155. Bowl barrow (Exmoor 9) 7 paces diameter and 1 foot high. Found by Grinsell 24th April 1962 after heath had been swaled.  A grass covered mound that may be a small bowl barrow or alternatively, a spoil heap. It is within 15 metres of 19th Century features, near field walls and and it is possible that it is the remains of a heap of material collected to build these features. It may also be a spoil heap from nearby mining activity. 0.4 metres high. See AO/65/139/7 & 8. Surveyed at 1:2500.  Low round mound 0.4 metres high and quarried into on it southwestern side. Flat irregular top and no stones showing.  One of three predominantly earthen mounds to the west of Larkbarrow Corner (see also MSO10920 and MSO10921). At SS 8218 4155 is a low, circular mound, 7 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. The top of the mound has been scraped off, revealing a predominantly earthen core. The size and largely earthen construction suggests that this is probably of post-medieval date. It is most likely that it is either connected with agricultural improvement or with the proposed Porlock to Simonsbath Railway (MSO7906).  The mound is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but is shown on modern MasterMap data. [6,7] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 32.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1965.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33060.
- <4> SEM7060 Report: McDonnell, R.. 1985. Recommendations for the Management of Archaeological Sites in the Exmoor National Park at Warren, Pinford, Tom's Hill and Hayes Allotment. 71 (site 179).
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 December 1995.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36224, Extant 13 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8218 4154 (14m by 13m) Surveyed|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36224 (Pastscape entry: 36224)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6857
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36224
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33060
Record last edited
Jul 13 2021 2:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.