MSO10921 - Prehistoric or post-medieval mound on Elsworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8221 4155. Bowl barrow (Exmoor 9) 7 paces diameter and 1 foot high. Found by Grinsell 24th April 1962 after heath had been swaled.  A grass covered mound that may be a small bowl barrow or alternatively, a spoil heap. It is within 15 metres of 19th Century features, near field walls and and it is possible that it is the remains of a heap of material collected to build these features. It may also be a spoil heap from nearby mining activity. 0.4 metres high. Surveyed at 1:2500.  Low round mound 0.4 metres high and quarried into on it southwestern side. Flat irregular top and no stones showing.  At SS 8218 4155 is a low, circular mound, 7 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres high. The top of the mound has been scraped off, revealing a predominantly earthen core. The size and largely earthen construction suggests that this is probably of post-medieval date. It is most likely that it is either connected with agricultural improvement or with the proposed Porlock to Simonsbath Railway (MSO7906).  The mound is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but is shown on modern MasterMap data. [6,7]
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 32.
- <2> SSO1721 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS84SW. 8.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33060.
- <4> SSO1383 Report: McDonnell, R. 1985. Recommendations for the Management.... 71 (site 179).
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 December 1995.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8218 4154 (14m by 13m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36224 (Pastscape entry: 36224)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6857
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36224
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33060
Record last edited
Jan 4 2017 10:26AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.