MSO10920 - Prehistoric or post-medieval mound east of Elsworthy (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 8212 4162. Bowl barrow (Exmoor 8), 8 paces diameter and 1 foot high. Found by Grinsell 24th April 1962 after heath had been swaled.  A grass covered mound that may be a small bowl barrow or alternatively, a spoil heap. It is within 15 metres of 19th Century features, near field walls and and it is possible that it is the remains of a heap of material collected to build these features. It may also be a spoil heap from nearby mining activity. 0.4 metres high. Surveyed at 1:2500.  Circular irregular mound possibly quarried into at the centre. 0.5 metres high and 9 paces in diameter. Likely to be a cairn or clearance mound.  The possible barrow at SS 821 416 was recorded in the field. It is a circular but irregular mound, possibly quarried into at the centre and southeastern side, and is approximately 9.0 metres diameter and 0.5 metres high.  A lobe-shaped earthen mound measuring 6.2 metres north to south by 8.5 metres; it is 0.4 metres high. The summit of the mound has been robbed. The size and largely earthen construction suggests that this is probably of post-medieval date. It is most likely to be either connected with agricultural improvement or with the proposed Porlock-Simonsbath Railway (MSO7906).  The mound is not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but is shown on modern MasterMap data. [7,8]
- <1> SSO1223 Article in serial: Grinsell, L V. 1969. Somerset Barrows: part 1. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 113. 32.
- <2> SSO1721 Map: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1965. SS84SW. 8.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 33059.
- <4> SSO856 Article in serial: Burrow, I., Minnitt, S. and Murless, B.. 1982. Somerset Archaeology 1981. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society. 126. 69-91. 63.
- <5> SSO1383 Report: McDonnell, R. 1985. Recommendations for the Management.... 71 (site 94).
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 December 1995.
- <7> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8213 4163 (20m by 20m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6857
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW8
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36224
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33059
Record last edited
Jan 4 2017 10:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.