MSO10915 - Western bowl barrow at Madacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 82784258 (Exmoor 12). Bowl barrow, a mound of earth and stones 8.5 paces diameter and 2.5 feet high.  Grinsell's No 12 is at SS 82854264 and is 0.6 etresm high. (See GP AO/65/173/7 & 8). Surveyed at 1:2500. [2-5] A less well-defined circular mound than its eastern partner, 7.6 metres in diameter and 0.8 metres high. It lies in deep heather and this makes its precise shape and form more difficult to determine. A sheep scrape is visible on the eastern side of the summit and there is also evidence for very recent vandalism in the form of a sharply defined hole, 0.5 metres in diameter and 0.4 metres deep, close to the centre of the barrow. A scatter of surface stone appears to be spoil from this digging.  The hole was still visible on a site visit undertaken in 2013.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7674 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows, Part 1: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Nat. 113. 32.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1965.
- <3> SMO1498 Photograph: 1965. WESTERN BOWL BARROW AT EXMOOR FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F173/8. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <4> SMO1499 Photograph: 1965. WESTERN BOWL BARROW AT EXMOOR FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F173/7. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <5> SMO1500 Photograph: 1965. EASTERN BOWL BARROW AT EXMOOR FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F174/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <6> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 December 1995.
- <7> SEM1 Verbal communication: Various. Various. ENPA archaeologist field visit. S Blaylock and C Dove, 21 August 2013.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36223, Extant 13 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8285 4265 (25m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36223 (Original Monarch entry: 36223)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO173
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6856
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW7
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36223
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33054
Record last edited
Jul 13 2021 4:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.