MSO10916 - Eastern bowl barrow at Madacombe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 82874250 (Exmoor 13). The bowl barrow takes the form of a mound of earth and stones with a slight hollow centre, 13 paces diameter and 4 feet high with slight hollow in the centre.  Grinsell's No 13 is at SS 82914261 and is 1.1 metre high, and well preserved. (See GP AO/65/174/1 & 2). Surveyed at 1:2500. [2-5] (SS 82914261) Tumuli (NR).  The barrow is situated at SS 8291 4261 and consists of a well defined, circular, heather covered mound, 13 metres in diameter and 1 metre high. On the east side of the summit is a hollow measuring 2.6 metres by 1.2 metres and 0.3 metres deep.  Of the two barrows identified and described at this location, only the easternmost was visible during the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey of all available aerial photographs. It is visible as a circular earthwork at least 10 metres in diameter, centred on circa SS 8291 4262. The variation is size from that stated by  is probable due to obscuration of the site by vegetation cover. [8,9] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7674 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1969. Somerset Barrows, Part 1: West and South. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Nat. 113. 32.
- <2> SMO7319 Unpublished document: PITCHER, GHP. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 1965.
- <3> SMO1498 Photograph: 1965. WESTERN BOWL BARROW AT EXMOOR FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F173/8. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <4> SMO1499 Photograph: 1965. WESTERN BOWL BARROW AT EXMOOR FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F173/7. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <5> SMO1500 Photograph: 1965. EASTERN BOWL BARROW AT EXMOOR FROM SOUTH EAST. OS65/F174/1. B/W. MICROFILM.
- <6> SSO1446 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1978. 1:10,000 Map, 1978. 1:10,000.
- <7> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 11 December 1995.
- <8> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 4067-8 (13 May 1946).
- <9> SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 36223, Extant 13 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8291 4262 (27m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=36223 (Original Monarch entry: 36223)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO173
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6856
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW7
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 36223
- Somerset SMR PRN: 33055
Record last edited
Jul 13 2021 2:59PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.