MSO10802 - Lower Woolcotts Farmhouse, Brompton Regis (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
(Shown on OS map as Woolcott Farm). Cottage now farmhouse. Late C18, windows renewed C20. Local stone random rubble, thatched roof, brick stacks gable ends. Plan: 2-cell and cross passage, outshot enclosed at rear. One and a half storeys, 3 bays, all 3-light wooden casements with C20 leading, wooden lintels to ground floor windows central gabled porch, random rubble with brick quoins and jambs, slate roof, rectangular light above plank door.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265601. First Listed on 04/08/1986.  2-cell plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Gabled roof  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  Lower Woolcotts Farm is shown on the Tithe Map for Kings Brompton Parish. It is labelled 400a, which is described as "Lower Woolcott Farm: Linhay Court House Garden and Green" in the Apportionment, owned by Sir Thomas Buckler Lethbridge and occupied by William Corner. This includes a long linear building sited at SS 9672 3165, orientated northeast to southwest.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, some of the buildings on the site had been removed and some altered, although the linear building was still extant (it is depicted as subdivided down the centre). The site is labelled "Woolcotts", together with Higher Woolcotts to the southwest.  The 2nd Edition map shows that the linear building was remodelled and the westernmost section removed, apparently to form a new farmhouse, but the frontage of the new farmhouse appears to be part of the original group of buildings shown on the Tithe Map.  The 2018 MasterMap data shows some small alterations to the rear of the property since the early 1900s. 
- <1> SSO59 Index: 4/8/1986. 36th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park..
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. Land parcel 400a.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <8> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9672 3166 (12m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1648/4/14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31336
Record last edited
Oct 28 2019 10:33AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.