MSO10771 - Stables and linhay abutting West Lynch Farmhouse returned to south, West Lynch (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
Stables and linhay with shelter shed. Possibly C17 in origin, subsequently altered, restored late C20. Red sandstone random rubble, brick dressings, thatched roofs hipped at south-west end abutting West Lynch Farmhouse (qv), triple ridge tiles to shelter sheds. L-plan, linhay and stables lying south-west/north-east, rear wall fronting garden of West Lynch Farmhouse (qv), returned to south-east as shelter sheds. Linhay: originally probably 8 bays but only 4 bays left open, circular stone piers, infilled to right with random rubble and 3 square headed openings to stable, plank door end bay; shelter sheds adjoining, single storey, 5 bays, probably largely rebuilt late C20, C20 timber doors.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265553. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  Stone, Random rubble walls. Hipped, Gabled roof  The group of buildings is mentioned in the 2003 Conservation Area appraisal for Bossington and West Lynch, which advises "Abutting the farmhouse is a thatched stable block, and linhay which may be of 17th century origin. The main elevation has 8 bays, with four left open displaying circular stone piers. The adjoining shelter sheds are 5 bay single–storey, and at right angles to the main range. They appear to have been largely rebuilt in the late 20th century."  The building was visited in March 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  A structure is visible on the 1841 Selworthy Tithe map at this location. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM7908 Unpublished document: Fisher, J.. 2003. Bossington & West Lynch Conservation Area Character Appraisal. p13.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM7926 Map: 1841. Selworthy Tithe Map and Apportionment.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 900 476 (37m by 20m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (7)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524337 (Pastscape entry: 524337)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524339 (Pastscape entry: 524339)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524340 (Pastscape entry: 524340)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524341 (Pastscape entry: 524341)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524342 (Pastscape entry: 524342)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524343 (Pastscape entry: 524343)
- https://heritagerecords.nationaltrust.org.uk/HBSMR/MonRecord.aspx?uid=MNA138535 (National Trust HER entry: MNA138535)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/23/139/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/23/139/2
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 fluvial
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 fluvial
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record: MNA138535
- NBR Index Number: 44345
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524337
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524339
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524340
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524341
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524342
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 524343
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31269
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.