MSO10768 - Post-medieval barn and adjoining linhay at Tivington Knowle (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Barn and linhay. Probably C18 altered C19 and C20. Local stone random rubble and cob, thatched roof hipped to right, half hipped left. Plan: 2-bay linhay left abutting 5-bay barn divided into 2 sections. Single storey, circular pier to linhay set at angle from barn with weatherboarded infill to bays, plank door to barn reached by flight of 3 steps, full height stable-type door to barn right, 5-bay collar beam tie roof. Listed primarily for group value with Cottage (National Trust Estate No 97) (qv) to north.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265549. First Listed on 22/05/1969.  2-bay plan. Earth, Stone, Random rubble walls. Collar beam, Half-hipped, Gabled roof  The buildings were visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. They received a BAR score of 6.  The buildings are shown but not labelled on 202 Ordnance Survey MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #40067 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9348 4453 (19m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=524336 (Original Monarch entry: 524336)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/9/135/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/9/135/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8040
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 SW101
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 44344
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 524336
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31265
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 10:35AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.