MSO10764 - Troytes Farm Cottage, Tivington (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse now outbuilding. Late C16-early C17, partly demolished late C19. Rendered over random rubble, triple ridge tile roof, external stack left gable end with winder stair projection adjoining. Plan: 2-cell. Two storeys, first floor 2-light window right, pigeon loft openings to left, ground floor left C19 leaded iron casement, small buttress and plank door. Interior: chamfered beam with step and runout stop, 2 pairs of jointed cruck trusses. Stair probably removed when used as a washhouse in C19. Evidence that right gable end wall was rebuilt when Troytes Farm (not included) was erected some 5 m to south-west. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, March 1982).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265545. First Listed on 02/01/1986.  2-cell plan. Stone, Render walls. Cruck, Gabled roof  The building was visited in May 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  The building is depicted but not labelled on 2020 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <5> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9328 4507 (10m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/4/131
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31261
Record last edited
Oct 12 2021 11:30AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.