MMO1607 - Possible medieval earthworks west of Troytes Farm (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
Evidence of substantial field boundary or enclosure earthworks of uncertain, but possibly early medieval date, can be seen on aerial photographs 200 metres to the west of Troytes Farm, Tivington, Selworthy parish, at circa SS 930 451. The possible enclosure or field boundaries are visible to the north and south of an extant field boundary, as a soilmark and extant earthworks. The soilmark, indicating a former earthwork levelled by ploughing, is up to 15 metres in width, the earthwork approximately 5 metres wide. The field or enclosure may have been closed at its western end, enclosing an area of at least one hectare. The alignment of the earthwork is similar to that of the extant surrounding field system although it seems to belong to an earlier phase of landscape organisation, possibly placing its creation in the early part of the medieval period. This may be supported by evidence of a possibly medieval field boundary overlying part of this enclosure soilmark (see MMO1608). The southern half of the possibly enclosed area also appears to have been quarried, probably during the post-medieval period, at a similar time to several other quarries in the vicinity, marked on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [1-4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/5159 (F21) 180-181 (4 June 1962).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70380 213-214 (23 September 1970).
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4>XY SMO7550 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NW. MD002167. [Mapped feature: #32547 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9300 4507 (144m by 96m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460011 (Original Monarch entry: 1460011)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW212
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460011
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 12:27PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.