MSO10665 - Parsonage Farm House (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
Cottage, subsequently enlarged with adjoining bank barn over stables and coachouse, now all one dwelling. C17, enlarged late C19, entrance resited and porch added mid C20. Red sandstone random rubble, steeply pitched West Somerset slate roofs, half hipped east end, catslide roofs over additions, large stone stack at junction with higher independently roofed C19 addition, lateral stack on north front, tall roughcast stack rising to right, battered roughcast stacks rising from rear of bank barn. Plan: 2-cell cottage with lateral stack to right on entrance (now blocked) on north front, extended with additions on north and south sides set into hillside, south porch added, dwelling linked by covered way to 3-bay outbuilding. One and a half storeys, 2-light casement in gable to right of lateral stack, catslide roof to right, ground floor 3-light arched mullioned window in cement on site of original entrance, similar in re-entrant angle of extension right, c.1500 3-light arched mullion window with remains of leaf decoration in spandrels restored and reset from another earlier building right of stack, arch headed light to right. Entered through covered way linking 2-storey, 3-bay bank barn over coach house and stable, double door at rear.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265445. First Listed on 22 May 1969.  2-cell plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Half-hipped roof  The farm was surveyed in January 1997. The house was described as clearly ancient with a big chimney, projecting overn and hall mullioned window with Tudor headed lights. The presence of a converted farm building was also noted.  The building was visited in June 2013 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 84.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8397 4771 (16m by 29m) (MasterMap)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/2/32
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (4): 84
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MEM15405
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31156
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.