MSO10638 - Luckesses Farmhouse, Edgcott (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Farmhouse and stables. C16, alterations dated 1639, extended late C19. Roughcast over rubble, slate roofs, higher independently hipped roof left, large central roughcast stack at junction of change in roof levels. Plan: thought to be 3-cell enlarged, partly rebuilt and possibly a longhouse. Two storeys, long 5-bay facade, mainly C20 casements, left window below eaves, wall breaks forward for one bay with 3-light leaded iron casement with wooden boarding below eaves, C20 casement end bay right, ground floor right unlit with very shallow buttresses or batter to wall, two 3-light windows left, studded plank door reached by 2 steps, 3-light left and in recessed end bay half-glazed many paned door, 3 steps. Said to have datestone '1639 June 14' on rear wall. Abutting left at right angles C19 3-bay stable block with loft over. Interior not seen. (VAG Report, unpublished SRO, July 1979).  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265418. First Listed on 2 January 1986.  4-cell plan. Stone, Render, roughcast and pebbledash walls. Hipped, Gabled roof  The building was visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SSO672 Index: 2/1/1986. Thirty-fifth List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset)/Exmoor National Park.
- <2> SEM8675 Verbal communication: Various. 1900-. Somerset County Council / South West Heritage Trust staff comments. Chris Webster, 28 November 2005, Historic Environment Record, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SEM340853 Archive: Unknown. Unknown. Volume: Luckessess Farmhouse, Exford. N/A.
- <4> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records. PRN 31124.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 521865, Extant 23 August 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8442 3897 (27m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||EXFORD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- https://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=521865 (Pastscape entry: 521865)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/12/5/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1076/12/5/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO6743
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 NW58
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NBR Index Number: 41964
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 521865
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31124
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 5:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.