MSO10626 - Ranscombe Farmhouse, Wootton Courtenay (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Farmhouse. Early C19. Red sandstone random rubble, asbestos slate roof, decorative ridge tiles, rendered stacks right gable end of lower independently roofed service wing, right gable end of main block, rising from eaves on wing at rear. T-plan: main block with outshot, service wing left, barn attached to wing at rear, set gable end to road. Two storeys, 3:2 bays; end bay left unlit, first floor 20-pane sash windows left, 25-pane sash windows below with central entrance, right C20 windows first floor, C20 door in left bay, main entrance remains of 6-panel door with pentice porch. Left return fronting road, C20 fenestration and in wing at rear; barn abutting, rendered, double doors. Interior not seen.  English Heritage Listed Building Number: 265401. First Listed on 05/06/1985.  T-plan. Stone, Random rubble walls. Hipped, Gabled roof  A recent planning application made reference to the house being of the 16th Century or earlier.  The buildings were visited in June 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. Thehouse received a BAR score of 5 and the barn a score of 6.  The farmhouse is shown on the 2020 MasterMap data and is part of a larger group of buildings labelled Ranscombe Farm. 
- <1> SSO58 Index: 5/6/1985. 34th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, District of West Somerset (Somerset).
- <2> SSO2013 Unassigned: Webster CJ, Historic Environment Record. 2005. Staff Comments, Somerset County Council.
- <3> SSO1 Unpublished document: Somerset County Council. Various. Somerset HER parish files - Exmoor records.
- <4> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. S Blaylock, 31 October 2012.
- <5> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <6>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #39258 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9478 4315 (37m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (5): 444/6/118/1
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 444/6/118/2
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Somerset SMR PRN: 31105
Record last edited
May 27 2021 3:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.